- Case Studies
- PDM Produce – New Salad Processing Factory
PDM, a private family-owned company based in Shropshire was established in 1991 and is now one of the UK’s leading specialist in lettuce and baby leaf growers and processors. PDM now suppliers many of Britain’s leading retailers, processing and food service companies, fresh food wholesalers and specialist outlets.
To expand their services to meet the demand from today’s consumers for ready-to-eat washed salads, PDM invested in a new state-of-the-art High Care Unit at their Shropshire site.
We had worked with JD Cooling on our other site and without hesitation we decided to work with them.
As part of this new expansion, JD Cooling designed and installed all the cooling and integrated heat recovery systems to serve the new salad processing factory.
This consisted of the following:
- Two 400kW water cooled NH3 chillers – including heat recovery via a de-superheater. Surplus heat is rejected via an externally sited adiabatic dry air cooler which is connected to the condenser. The chillers provide chilled water at -2°C to serve all of the and the glycol required for one off 10 pallets per hour vacuum cooler.
- Two heat recovery heat exchangers capable of providing hot water at 75°C
- NH3 detection system, wind sock & emergency eye wash station
- Adiabatic dry air cooler
- Two chilled glycol circulating pumps
- Two condenser water circulating pumps
- Insulated pressurised 2,500l buffer tank
- Low temperature (0.5°C) ceiling mounted coolers with local valve stations and warm glycol defrost
- Six medium temperature ceiling mounted coolers with local valve stations and off-cycle defrost
- Hygienic packaged air handling system and associated ductwork, diffusers and grilles
- Three room control panels and a central plant control panel
- Cold steam humidification system for the High Humidity Store
- Integrated glycol cooled vacuum cooler – 10 pallet capacity with two auto side sliding doors and with auto conveyor inside vessel chamber. Externally the machine has infeed and outfeed conveyors to accommodate 40 pallets each. The vacuum cooler is a Hydrovac facility, which can be used automatically during cooling cycles to assist with cooling of dry product and also to minimise product water loss during cooling
We had worked with JD Cooling on our other site and without hesitation we decided to work with them. This was down to the professional conduct and the knowledge they within the industry. The system needed to be energy conscious with the cooling output to meet all our needs with expansion capabilities. This was fulfilled and installed by a professional team with expertise from the other trades that they incorporated into the project. They have a good after service team who are always willing to help no matter how small the requirement is.
Would I choose JD Cooling for future projects? YES without doubt!