The world’s largest sandwich manufacturer, Greencore’s Food to Go division in the UK, produces in excess of 500m ‘food on the move’ products a year for many of the UK’s major retailers, including pre-packed sandwiches, wraps, prepared salads and sushi.
To support a well-known high street chain’s growing demand for freshly made pre-packed sandwiches, Greencore expanded their facilities in Northampton by officially opening a new multi-million pound purpose-built factory in 2016.
This new unique facility spanning over three operational floors with a floor area of 15,793m²/170,000ft², was the largest refrigeration installation project carried out by JD Cooling Group.
On behalf of the main contractor, JD Cooling Group successfully delivered a design that is highly efficient, environmentally sustainable and HFC free, which will, going forward will achieve significant energy cost savings to the client.
JD Cooling (Group) delivered a high quality HFC free refrigeration system for Northampton, that has helped us achieve our goal of BREEAM ‘Good’ sustainability rating for the building.
Senior Project Manager, Greencore
The new state-of-the-art installation consists of the following:
- Secondary cooling systems driven by ammonia chillers, adiabatic cooling and water-to-water ammonia driven heat pumps
- Glycol ring main serving the various room coolers and air handling units within all chilled and production areas including canteen.
- CO2 cascade process supporting a blast freezer, running in conjunction with the glycol and ammonia systems.
- Ammonia heat pump recovering waste heat from the cooling process, which boosts the temperature to supply hot water to all wash down areas.
- Highly efficient adiabatic cooling system that projects waste heat to the atmosphere
- Modern fully welded stainless steel fittings and inverted pumps throughout
- Full electrical services by JD Power Systems
- Enabled Greencore-Food-To-Go to achieve a ‘Gold’ Sustainability Award